Friday, October 21, 2011

Eating cheap in Korea: Street food 포장마차

Korea is a country in which the food is relatively cheap, that is Korean and some other Asian food. If you are looking for western food, depending of the area it can be a little bit pricey. As a student, sometimes I rather spend my money in a good tequila rather that a big italian meal, so I choose some cheap and nice Korean food.

In this post I will briefly describe you one of the cheapest way to eat and drink in Korea. The 포장마차 or "Pochanmacha" are small tented restaurants on wheels that sells very cheap food, such as Kimbab (made from steamed white rice -bap- and various other ingredients, rolled in kim -sheets of dried laver seaweed- and served in bite-size slices.) or Toppoki (sliced rice cake, meat, eggs, and seasoning).  The price of this food varies from place to place but the value is always around 1,000 to 2,000 won (1,000 won = .075 dollar). Water is always free.

The pochanmacha sells other kind of good called "Anju" which is sold as a snack when drinking. Normally is served at night and the price is very cheap as well. Some of the Korean anju food are fried chicken, dried squid, fruits, and sunde (boiled intestines with rice and stuff inside).

Soju, the Korean distillate drink is sold in this places, each bottle is 1,000 won, (I drink 3 and I am super wasted).


With less than $10 I eat plenty of food and alcohol. 

At morning... 

At night...





1 comment:

  1. This blog is very nice and very useful...i like what you do
    and it's admirable...but check this out

    www.soundcloud.com/stereocool

    I run this project since 3 years ago...i guess we should do something for
    this name conflict... hit me up on the facebook page, thanks.

    ReplyDelete